Kathleen Swain, LV 09-11, Director
I was born and raised in Philadelphia. While attending Little Flower Catholic High School for Girls I became involved with Community Service Corps.
For college I headed to Chicago and attended Loyola University. While at Loyola I was heavily involved in Campus Ministry; participating and leading Retreats. I also participated in the Alternative Break Immersion program my junior and senior year. Between my amazing college experience, studying abroad, and volunteering I realized how much I had received and wanted to give back.
Upon graduation I moved to Memphis, Tennessee where I served for two years as a Lasallian Volunteer at De La Salle Elementary Blessed Sacrament. My two years were full of laughter, jokes, lots of growth, and fostering life-long friendships. After completing my two years of service I remained in Memphis and served as the Assistant Campus Minister for the Catholic Diocese of Memphis. I worked closely with the students at the University of Memphis and Rhodes College and constantly spoke of my LV experience. I also continued to spend time volunteering at De La Salle.
After spending eight years away from the east coast I decided to return. I previously served in the role as recruitment coordinator for two years, before taking on the exciting and challenging role of director. I am excited to continue to help grow a program that has given so much to me.
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology and Communication, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL
Areas of Responsibility
The Director of the Lasallian Volunteers is responsible for leadership, overall direction, and management of the Lasallian Volunteers. The Director functions as part of the Lasallian Volunteers staff team and, with the LV Advisory Board, is responsible for ensuring that the program advances and upholds it Mission as embodied in the Mission statement.
- Lasallian Volunteers Recruitment Coordinator, 7/2013 – 7/2015
- Assistant Campus Minister / Administrative Assistant, Catholic Diocese of Memphis, Memphis, TN
- Librarian, Computer Teacher, After-School Coordinator, Religion Teacher, De La Salle Elementary Blessed Sacrament, Memphis, TN
- Keeping busy with my two kids — James and Annabeth
- Spending time with my family!
Michael Phipps, LV 09-11, Recruitment Coordinator
Born in Haiti, I was raised in Yakima, Washington. I attended La Salle High School in Yakima and participated extensively in Lasallian Youth and weekly community service projects. As a senior, I went on a service immersion trip to Browning, Montana and had my first encounter with Lasallian Volunteers. Upon graduation, I attended the University of Northern Colorado for undergrad. Keeping my ties to the Lasallian world, I participated in the Lasallian Collegian program, assisting with high school student leadership programs in the legacy San Francisco District.
These glimpses of the larger Lasallian mission provided me with a vision that propelled me to become a Lasallian Volunteer, altering my path in a seemingly subtle way. Placed at The San Miguel School in Providence, Rhode Island, I found myself transported to a world quite different than the one I grew up in. As the Director of Graduate Support, I connected with and offered assistance to current students and graduates of the school and their families.
Following my time of service, I studied at Lewis University and earned my Masters in School Counseling and Guidance. From this traditional path, I changed directions rather purposefully after graduation, discerning religious life with the De La Salle Christian Brothers and entering initial formation with the order. Toward the conclusion of my novitiate year, I discerned away from religious life and returned to working in education.
In the summer of 2017, I accepted a position at Liguori Academy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where I worked as the Guidance and Post-Secondary Counselor, creating the counseling program curriculum. After spending three years at Liguori, I accepted the position of recruitment coordinator with Lasallian Volunteers and am excited to walk with prospective and current LVs on their discernment journeys. Similar to the Founder, I truly believe I have been led in a most imperceptible way to this moment in my vocational journey.
- Master of Arts, School Counseling and Guidance, Lewis University, Romeoville, IL
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
Areas of Responsibility
The Recruitment Coordinator for Lasallian Volunteers, working as a team member, has responsibility for assisting in all programmatic efforts. The Recruitment Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to organize, manage, support and act as key contact person for all areas of recruitment.
- Guidance and Post-Secondary Counselor, Liguori Academy, Philadelphia, PA
- Youth Worker, The Night Ministry, Chicago, IL
- Freshman School Counselor, Saint Joseph High School, Westchester, IL
- Sophomore School Counselor, West Catholic Preparatory, Philadelphia, PA
- Dance and Choreography
Don Coates, Director of Development
As a native Washingtonian, I was reared in a family rooted in public, civil and military service. While having a faith-filled and gracious upbringing, my parents always pushed to instill ways for assisting those in-need. Whether it was participating at ministry-sponsored soup kitchens or sorting clothing and housewares designated for the city’s homeless population. Our family theme was to never lose sight of “the lost, the least and left-out among us”.
After graduating from college, my initial plan was to pursue a federal law enforcement position or opportunity in public safety here in the DC metro area. However, after landing a position as a court reporter and staying employed there for nearly six years, a new career path came about with an introduction into the nonprofit sector as a development staffer. This new fundraising career all started at a national veteran’s organization here in the District. From there, a nearly 30-year career path in Fund-Development unfolded.
Interestingly, while in my first fundraising position, I was detailed to work with a state-run agency Texas. Based out of their Austin offices, I was dispatched to oversee funding programs for U.S. Air Force veterans throughout the state. It was in my next position at Catholic Charities USA’ national office that helped set the tone for my desire work in some social service capacity.
Currently, I volunteer with several nonprofits whose missions are youth, veterans and social service oriented.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Virginia Union University, Richmond, VA
- Creative Writing Certificate, USDA Graduate School Certificate Program, Washington, DC
- Catholic Charities USA – Leadership Institute, Scottsdale, AZ
- Social Justice Leadership Institute – Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Areas of Responsibility
The Director of Development is responsible for leading the Lasallian Volunteers advancement efforts including:
- Cultivating and coordinating the solicitation of potential donors.
- Developing and implementing plans for development, fundraising and public relations.
- Developing strategies to increase outreach beyond Lasallian Volunteers’ traditional funding base to new prospects.
- Overseeing foundation relations, proposal development and reporting.
- Overseeing the planning and execution of special events/promotions.
- Produces the Lasallian Volunteers annual report and related publications.
- Fund-Development Consultant and Technical Advisor, DGC Consulting, Washington, DC
- Senior Manager, Development, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Alexandria, VA
- Director, Direct Response Operations, Paulist Fathers, North America Paulist Center, Washington, DC
- Director of Development & Communications, Challenger Center for Space Science Education, Alexandria, VA
- Director, Direct Marketing, Catholic Charities USA, Alexandria, VA
- Board Member (Vice Chair) Woodridge Warriors Youth Organization, Washington, DC
- Youth Mentoring
- Football & Baseball Coaching
- Cross-Fit Training
- Vintage Automobiles/Specialty Auto Shows